While driving with your family, you’re rear-ended by an uninsured motorist — seriously damaging your car, putting you and your family in the hospital and leaving you unable to work.

It was the fault of the driver who hit you, but s/he doesn’t have insurance. That means you’ll probably have to pay your own medical bills and absorb the loss of income from being unable to work. And you’ll probably be responsible to fix or replace your car.

Fortunately, if you live in Colorado, you have uninsured motorist bodily injury insurance — which protects you in case of an accident caused by someone who doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your losses.

Unfortunately, that coverage may not be enough to pay your medical bills, cover the income you lose while you’re unable to work or compensate you for pain and suffering.

Colorado automobile insurance law required you to carry uninsured-motorist unless you waive coverage in writing (or electronically signing a waiver). High uninsured motorist limits is necessary because medical bills have skyrocketed, personal injury attorneys are all over tv and accidents are growing more and more severe.

Umbrella policies are a cost-effective way to increase your coverage for an accident where you’re at fault. But what about accidents where someone else is at fault? Unlike many insurance companies, we can offer up to an additional $1 million of uninsured motorist coverage on your umbrella policy.

Something many people don’t realize. Even if another driver who causes an accident has insurance, your uninsured-motorist coverage can cover any costs that exceed the limits of their policy.

That’s one reason I recommend our clients carry as much uninsured motorist coverage as possible. It can protect your future earnings and pay medical bills and other costs if you’re ever injured by another driver. And uninsured-motorist coverage covers you anywhere in Colorado, even if you’re not in your car. It covers you, for example, if you’re hit by another vehicle when you’re a pedestrian, bicyclist or riding a motorcycle — including accidents caused by hit-and-run drivers.

Questions about your uninsured motorist coverage? Call me at 303-922-1001.